Did a (mostly) full hive inspection today. The bees have been quite busy.
Here is my original hive (alpha):
And here are a few pictures from the container hive I removed (beta):
Saturday, April 9, 2016
Hard to believe how fast time goes.
Since I have last posted, I have been very busy! I got a swarm/baby hive, did a small removal at a neighbors house, and had a newbeek come over to learn! I will post about each individually after this post.
Today I went in and "renovated" the hive that came from under Andrea and Max's shipping container. They had seriously crosscombed the frames, due to me not having the hive level when I placed it in the apiary. My fault. I was trying to figure out how I was going to remove and straighted up the comb... and the idea of rubberbanding the comb to frames was not very exciting.
I found a webpage from The Garden Academy that has a "Rescue Frame" made with fence wire. Freaking genius. I made 7 of these frames up and ended up using all 7 of them today to straighten up the hive. I only lost about 1 piece of comb the size of a deck of cards. To be honest, I didn't try to hard to save that for the hive since it was capped honey and looked so tasty. It's in the fridge right now :)