Saturday, April 9, 2016

Cleaned up the new hive today

Hard to believe how fast time goes.

Since I have last posted, I have been very busy!  I got a swarm/baby hive, did a small removal at a neighbors house, and had a newbeek come over to learn!  I will post about each individually after this post.

Today I went in and "renovated" the hive that came from under Andrea and Max's shipping container.  They had seriously crosscombed the frames, due to me not having the hive level when I placed it in the apiary.  My fault.  I was trying to figure out how I was going to remove and straighted up the comb... and the idea of rubberbanding the comb to frames was not very exciting.

I found a webpage from The Garden Academy that has a "Rescue Frame" made with fence wire.  Freaking genius.  I made 7 of these frames up and ended up using all 7 of them today to straighten up the hive.  I only lost about 1 piece of comb the size of a deck of cards.  To be honest, I didn't try to hard to save that for the hive since it was capped honey and looked so tasty.  It's in the fridge right now :)


No comments:

Post a Comment