Sunday, February 28, 2016

Feeder removal, brood checking.

I removed the empty feeder bottle today, and while I was at it I checked the empty super I put on last week....

Not a frame was touched, all empty still.  The other frames in the brood box I had cleaned up were not touched either.  I decided to remove the empty super since it was not in use.  Once they start to draw out the other frames in the brood box, I will put the super back on.

I was able to remove every frame today except for the middle one.  That middle frame basically has 3 combs attached to it and I am pretty sure that's where all the brood is (hard to tell since I can't see between combs very well).  I pried in the frame very slowly, and the "wild" comb didn't seem to be very stable so I thought it would be better to leave it be.

I completely forgot about taking pictures of the frames while I had them out.  It was my first time handing frames that had busy bees on them, and I would of felt horrible if I dropped the frame or something because I was trying to take pictures...   Maybe next time!!

It was nice to be able to remove all the other frames though.  I can't wait to get them out of that messy hive box and into something more manageable.

I think I am going to make some honey / sugar patties tonight and try to get them in the hive in the next day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment